You are now marked on my profile visitor map!
You are now marked on my profile visitor map!

Friday, August 19, 2005

 

"I'm Out With Your Mom Checking On The Cows."

Sorry, I haven't provided the final chapter of my father's saga. In Recovery, he was still on a ventilator. It was a rough night for me thinking about what my Dad would be going through (i.e. trying to breathe, choking, not being able to communicate, etc.), and it was difficult to sleep.

The next morning I was eager to get to the hospital. Visiting hours don't start until 10:30am, so I had too much time to sit and wait after waking at 7:00am. By the time I got into the ICU, I was a nervous wreck. I wondered if he would look worse or if he was off the ventilator. When I saw him he was sitting up with a big mug of water in his hand. His voice was scratchy and he told me he felt so much better without that tube in his throat. He kept drinking water saying, "This water just tastes so good and feels great on my throat." Curious, I asked what he remembered. He told me he remember my Mom and me being there last night, but it was fuzzy. We sat and talked for about 3 hours and I had to go to work. I told him I would see him on Saturday.

Renee and Dane came up with me on Saturday. He looked much better that morning, but by the time he went to the Step-down Unit, the whole thing seemed to be wearing him down. I was getting worried that sending him home after 5 days was going to happen, but he wouldn't be ready. Physically he seemed to be doing better, but psychologically he just wasn't there yet. He told me, "I didn't think it would be this bad." Although exhausted, sleep fo him was difficult with all the light and activity on the unit. When I left Saturday night, I was hopeful he would get some rest.

Sunday morning, he was a different man. His chest tube was out, he had been up walking around, he shaved, brushed his teeth and, overall, in a much better frame of mind. He told me that just being able move around and take care of himself, put him in a much better mood. That afternoon, Renee brought Dane to the waiting room and my Dad walked out to see him (Dane couldn't go onto the Step-down Unit... baby germs). Both were excited to see each other, although Dad couldn't hold him, we all sat and watched Dane play. After 30 minutes, Dad was wiped out. We took him back to the unit and he laid down. We left after that to get Dane home.

He was released Monday and my Mom took him home. I think Dad was excited to be out of that hospital and in his own home. He was doing better that day and even Mom was okay with him returning home.

I called his house on Tuesday. No answer. I called Mom cell phone. She answered and asked if I wanted to talk to my Dad. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I'm out with your Mom checking on the cows." He didn't even sound like he had surgery six day ago, much less, open heart surgery. He said he tired out easily, but he was doing great!

I plan on seeing him this weekend. It'll be exciting to see how far he has come in a week.

Comments:
Fantastic! Huzza,huzza,huzza!

What a steely trooper your father is.
 
I was worried because you didn't post for so long. I'm glad everything is okay.
 
Out checking on the cows, eh? See what nice macho stock you come from? That's why we like you and you're so cute. In an incredibly macho way of course.

Glad your Dad is doing well. Of course he is, with Dr. Dane checking on him.
 
It always amazes me how quickly people can get better from major surgery. That said, there is something that happens post heart surgery in particular that they often don't tell you about. I don't know if it is mostly psychological (facing one's mortality for real) or physiological (I suspect this), but many people post heart surgery go into a depression. Just keep an eye on him. Most hospitals have help groups if it happens and it seems to run its course fairly quickly.
 
Glad he is back home recovering. Hope all is well with you too...

JP
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?