You are now marked on my profile visitor map!
You are now marked on my profile visitor map!

Friday, July 08, 2005

 

I Need To Post, But Have No Idea What To Post About

I really do try to post as often as I can. I get so into commenting on everyone else's blog that I forget to do my own. Maybe I should put my comments on my blog.

At this point, I really have nothing to discuss. Well, at least nothing that I haven't already read somewhere else (and commented). My life seems to be going pretty smoothly. Dane continues to be the best boy ever. Renee gets the patience-of-a-saint award, for dealing with me in the morning. Our house plans are still being drawn up. We have our lot. What could be better?

That makes me think of something...

In my little survey, WordWhiz answered the question, "What was your first impression?" with, "That you were someone of integrity." Foilwoman answered, "Describe me in one word" with, "Generous or Kind-hearted or Sweet." Their responses made me feel really good. However, I knew that integrity probably isn't always the best word used to describe me. I knew that it seems there are more times that I'm not generous, kind-hearted or sweet. Sometimes (I'm sure Renee would agree), the best words for me are: grumpy, mean, negative, irritable, angry, bitter, etc. After that you may want to use words like: blaming, guilty, finger-pointing, etc.

I wish I could be Galahad, the pure-hearted. I wish I could always be "Sir Andy." I have great ideals, but sometimes I'm too busy being selfish follow them. I think so old school music really sums up what I can be about sometimes. The song is called Music and Politics by the Disposable Heros of Hiphoprisy. The lyric I like is:

If ever I would stop thinking about music and politics
I would tell you thatI pooped in my own dog dish
And sometimes I would rather face not eating
than face licking it clean
And admitting when I’m selfish
And I’d
tell you that I’m suffering from the worst type of loneliness
The loneliness
of being misunderstood, or more poignantly
the loneliness of being afraid
to allow myself to be understood

So what do you do when you're a prick? I don't want to raise my boy to be like that. I don't think I am, but as SwimmingSideways said, your child is always watching and is setting their sights to be in line with what they see. I don't want to be mean to Renee when I am tired. I don't want Dane to think it's okay to be that way. Some days, it's hard to keep it in check (sorry about this morning, Honey... oh... and last night too).

So give me your best shot... what do you think?

Comments:
Well, I think the important thing about our own flaws is not to pretend we don't have them. I think a child can learn a lot from watching a parent try to deal with a problem area for him or her. My temper is always something I talk to my girl about . . . and when she gets really, really mad, we talk about okay things she can do to calm herself down and when she comes up with good ways to do it, some of them I can see she figured out from watching me ("When you were really really mad, Mommy, you went upstairs and shut the door so you wouldn't yell, so I went to my room when I got mad.") That's obviously not my biggest flaw, but I think seeing you fight the good fight against your demons is one of the true lessons a child can learn.
 
I think for someone who had nothing to say, you threw together a DAMN good post here.

You're not alone. Unless we're seeking advice because of something stupid we've done, we rarely feature our dark underbellies on our blogsites. We post as the person we want to be, maybe the person we are deep down, but who sometimes gets buried in the pressures of the day. I think deep down you are "Sir Andy" and I know that you do have integrity. I'm not always the perfect parent (not even CLOSE!!) nor am I always "FUN". Both those things are goals, they are both things I try to be and want to be. Everyone gets sidetracked from time to time. It's not criminal and it doesn't mean we are not now or can't hope to be the person we want to be. We're not perfect. We all sin. We all have faults.

I have never been embarrassed to admit my screw-ups and apologize to my children. They have heard more than once, "I'm sorry I snapped at you. I had a bad day. I shouldn't have taken it out on you." I think it HELPS kids to see that their parents make mistakes, admit to them and try to do better. I think those are GOOD lessons.


PS: Loved those lyrics!! Don't know the artists and never heard the song, but that set of lyrics was some great imagery. Thanks!
 
Oh, and more pictures of Dane, please. Maybe something of him destroying the living room, Godzilla like, as he takes over the world now that he is mobile?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?