You are now marked on my profile visitor map!
You are now marked on my profile visitor map!

Friday, July 15, 2005

 

Daycare Dilemma, Part Deux


Thank you all so much for the comments and suggestions. I think I received one that covered every angle. It has been very helpful and given me a sense of validity in the matter.

And now... the rest of the story.

Renee went to the babysitter's house yesterday (it was better that I didn't go with her... I was afraid of what I might say). She asked if the babysitter was doing okay about the surgery. The babysitter said she was fine and not concerned at all. Renee tried to be very concerned and matter of fact, but in the end she broke down. The babysitter kept asking what's wrong. Renee told her that she was very concerned about Dane and that the babysitter wasn't taking care of him. The babysitter said, "tell me your concerns, you have every right to tell me what I am doing wrong." So Renee unloaded on her about what has happened. The babysitter listened without interruption or defensiveness. At the end, she said, "you're right, there is no excuse for this happening." She told Renee that she would make sure that she stayed on top of it. She apologized very sincerely.

The babysitter said, "if you ever have a concern, if you ever want an answer or if you ever want me to do something different, please tell me. He is your baby and your life, and I will do whatever you request." Renee said that she felt that much better afterwards.

We are still looking into alternatives. I feel better about things now, but I'm going to have a plan B, if I have to pull him in one day.

Again... thank you all so much for caring consideration.

Comments:
Well, to her credit, she did respond appropriately to parental concern, which is good. Given how much is going on in her life right now, this may be an abberation. Nonetheless, you are right to be concerned (and it sounds like you made the right call in having Renee handle the discussion). It's always good to have a Plan B. It feels negative, but really it's like when you go the the amusement park and your parents say "If you get separated, we'll meet you at the bandstand" or whatever. It's not assuming the worse will happen, just making sure the tools are available in case something does happen.
 
well said foilwoman!

I think for you this was the best option, and you are completely in the right for having a backup plan.

Great Dad Award, right here!
 
Since she acted appropriately to the concerns, see if she follows through to determine the next course of action.

When I ran a Mommy's Morning Out program for a year, the teacher at the program only would change a diaper if the child pooped. I talked to her about it, but she was resistant to the idea that a non poopy diaper needed changing. I then found out she was tied to the church somehow, and I could not fire her. So, I ended up staying at the program or getting other moms to help me out (Like my friend Shana, ex sister in law, who had the nude child...LOL...just found your post on that on your blog and responded, Andy ;)) to make sure the children had changed diapers. Very frustrating. The part about your son's diaper rash made me cringe too. I think you're doing the right thing: concerns noted, and she has ONE chance to get it right now after she listened. Again, and go to plan B.

I hate issues like this because...shouldn't all people just KNOW to adore our children and put their needs way first? Gees!
 
Between you and Renee, I think you handled it absolutely perfectly! Gosh you two are great people! I can't wait to meet you guys! The sitter sounds like a good person, but I agree that having a back-up plan, just in case things do not improve, is an excellent idea. See...what did you need us for?? You guys had it covered all along!

VEGAS, BABY!!
 
Call me a cynic but I think she has better parent handling skills than babycare skills. Why would this ever come up if she was on top of her job in the first place?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?