You are now marked on my profile visitor map!
You are now marked on my profile visitor map!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

 

Concerned Son

Last week, my father informed me that on July 10th, he had a "minor" heart attack. He said that he had been brushhogging (i.e. cutting grass with tractor sized mower [in case you don't know what that is]) and felt a little short of breath. He stopped, went into the house to get some air and relax for a while. The pain started at 11am... He didn't leave for the hospital until 3pm (denial is the #1 symptom of a heart attack). After three days and many tests later, he was sent home with an appointment to go back to the hospital in August for triple by-pass surgery. Three clogged arteries in my father's heart and they send him home for 3 weeks before the operation (and no medications). Can you believe it?

I may be blogging more about this... or not. I just don't know what to think about it.

Comments:
There is nothing as scary as a parents illness, particularly an illness somehow linked to aging. Good luck, and I hope the surgery goes well.
 
Andy...I'm dead tied because my job has been killer lately, but I'll email you later on this topic. My father had by-pass surgery about four years before he died. And no, his heart is NOT what killed him. It was bone cancer. In the end, he'd have preferred a heart attack. There are some things you and yoru family should prepare for so you don't panic. By-pass patients nearly ALL go through a period of pretty serious depression afterward. If it's facing their mortality or the discomfort or the limited mobility or the medications...who knows. But it's so common as to be considered normal. Don't panic when it happens. He'll seem suddenly MUCH older. That will pass. His legs will probably bother him even more than his chest. The scars are awful. I don't know if I'm making sense in this stream of conciousness. I'll write you when I'm more awake. Don't worry. This is a very common procedure now. Just make sure he takes it easy and follows doctors orders afterward. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.
 
I just wanted to say I'm here for you, and just stay strong, he will get through it.
 
I'm very sorry to hear about this, Andy. I remember when my dad had his stroke and the awfulness of uncertainty. Would he live? Would he walk again? Would he ever regain the use of his left hand? We all know that children are supposed to outlive the parents, but that doesn't make it any worse to watch your father have problems and suffer...and it does nothing to soothe the uncertainty.

I wish you and your father the best!
 
On another topic, Andy, your interview questions are posted on my blog.
 
Thank you all for your support and prayers. I haven't really decided to talk about it much more than I have, but you can bet that I will use you all as support after his surgery.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?