You are now marked on my profile visitor map!
You are now marked on my profile visitor map!

Friday, June 24, 2005

 

Father-In-Law

I told WordWhiz I would blog about my experience with my Father-In-Law (FIL). There have been many, but I'll only tell a about a couple here. By the way, we sent him Swimming Sideways discussion about integrity (via the archaic print-and-snail-mail method). Renee added a note that said she liked the discussion and thought he might like it too. Yes, it was a little passive aggressive, but believe me, he won't put the two together.

After Renee worked an entire week to birth a beautiful baby boy, and after we brought our family home, the FIL called requesting a visit to see his new grandson. Now, when the FIL calls us and wants to drive the whole hour to see us, it usually sets Renee into anxious mode. And rightly so. Being the clueless, insensitive asshole he is, we usually hear inappropriate comments and "jokes" (i.e. making fun of Renee). During his prior visit, he told an 8-month-pregnant Renee, not once, but twice (we tried to just ignore the first comment), that, "you look like you're putting on a lot of weight." I told him flatly, "Don't go there, Keith!"He said, "Don't go there? I'm just teasing." I said, "Don't!"

(I need to preface with additional information. When we were in Chantilly(Renee would have been 7 months pregnant at that time) for my Sister-in-law's wedding, Renee's step-father called her "Fatty" every time he walked past her. Renee told me it bothered her and I told her to tell him to stop, and if there was a problem after that, I would take care of it. She told him to stop and he made a big scene out of it, saying he thought it was cute. She told him it wasn't and to stop. He did and both he and her mother didn't speak to her for the rest of their time there. Renee, for some reason, brought this up with the FIL, and his response was, "you shouldn't have disrespected him." This conversation happen prior to him coming out see us when Renee was 8 months pregnant. So he knew what a hot button it was for her.) [I hope I haven't lost anyone.]

Back to the original story. He comes out to see our beautiful Dane for the first time. When he comes to the door, Renee lets him in and the first words out of his mouth, the first fucking words were, "I thought you said you had that baby." I spun around and was just about to push this old fucking man out the door, when he saw the look in my eyes and said, "Guess I shouldn't have said that." I said, "That's right. You shouldn't have said that." I turned and walked into the other room, trying to maintain some semblance of control. I think I could have killed him!

Just so you know how things are now, the last time he came out to the house was in January (I think). When he got there, I met him at his truck and told him how it was going to be. I said, "Teasing Renee, making fun of her or arguing will no longer be tolerated here. If you do any of these things here, I will throw you out. Do we understand each other?" We got into it a little bit about the gee-it's-only-innocent-fun aspect. I told him I didn't care, it wasn't happening here. And said, "okay, okay." And we went inside and things chilled out. However, that was the last time he has come to our house and the last time I've seen him.

Renee met him at a park a last month, because she was in his area, but he behaved himself. So things are okay between them. I'm sure he's upset with me because I confronted him, but I just won't allow anyone in my family (or friends) to fall victim to assholes. Not if there is something I can do about it. I'm all for letting people fight their own battles, but I don't mind jumping in and giving it a go, if they are have problems.

Comments:
Back to parents, and sights being set, etc. It's nice to have a spouse who will back you up. My sister, more than I, was the target of much of my father's way inappropriate behavior. Her husband supported her (and answered the phone 100% of the time, and he's not a chatty guy, in the days before caller id) when my sister decided our father really needed to be reined in). Brother-in-law is a good man, a mensch, a real human being. He and my sister have been through troubles, but whenever they have I remind my sister of this time in her life. While women, for the most part, don't want the caveman routine, it is nice to know that one's feelings of discomfort (even about one's parents, who one feels guilty about doubting or distrusting) are supported by one's spouse.

So, good job, Andy. And you are the first man I've said this to since discovering the hilarious "Useless Men" webiste: you are so not useless. Also, a good heart is worth so much. Go Andy, it's your birthday, etc. etc.
 
Wow!! I am extremely impressed. A great Dad and a knight in shining armour to boot! Renee is a lucky, lucky lady and Dane has a fine example!!
 
I'm glad you stood up for Renee. It's already such a rough time when you are pregnant and then give birth that having somebody "joke" like that is really up there with "stab my eye with an icepick" and "eat drano" with things that you need.

My ex, on the other hand, not only made the comments I mentioned on FW's blog, but he told me during the pregnancy that I was fat and unattractive. I would round a corner and he would basically point at me and start to laugh. Ok, I will grant you that tiny midget me carrying a baby MUST be an amusing sight akin to watching a squirrel balance an elephant on her belly, but I was just CRUSHED. NOT ONLY was there no sex going on, but he wouldn't let me snuggle or cuddle with him (things I, personally, need a LOT of because I'm a very touchy feely person).

He wasn't like that when I had been pregnant with Ariana, but he was on full flip-out mode by then. However, I DID get him to shut up about the weight. When he quipped that he couldn't wait until I lost the baby weight so we could have sex again, my eyes flashed and I growled, "Well, here's the deal. You gained 50 lbs in the time that I've known you. So, since you're thinking I need to be skinny for sex, same goes for you. No sex until you lose that 50 lbs and you can be skinny TOO!" And I stomped off as he sputtered. What's good for the goose is good for the gander...BUDDY.

Feel the love! God, I'm so happy to be a divorced woman! haha!
 
(Ooops, I realized I was unclear...I have a 7 yr old daughter and a 4 yr old son...he was "ok" when I was pregnant with my daughter, but by the time I became pregnant with my son, he was a total ass and his behavior shifted a lot...)
 
Foilwoman-Thank you... I already feel less useless (or more usefull?).

WordWhiz-Sometimes I do the right thing. I'm pretty passionate about things. So Renee gets benefits of that. She also reaps the weeds in the wheat. I'm certainly no knight in shining armor. Maybe I'm just a guy with some old dirty armor doing what he can to protect his family from that negative crap, but all the while knowing I need to be more like a knight. Make sense?

Kira-When Renee was pregnant, I went to sleep everynight with my hand on her belly. I loved touching it. I loved say, "Yup, I'm responsibile for that... Who's your Daddy!" And she would always reply, "You know you my Daddy!"

Hof-Thanks! One of your first blogs about Superheroes fits here. I would love to be the Superhero. Swoop in and save the day, but that isn't how it works. There is the man behind the mask, the person, the guy that people don't see. He can be a hurtful asshole too, he just isn't labelled a villian, because he only does the stupid little things that don't get you in trouble. That's the part I have to work on... the little things that chip away at a beautiful sculpture... and after a life time, leave a deformed unrecognizable statue.
 
Andy: You are so useful, you will not be permitted on the Useless Men's website, as non-representative. I think they let every other guy post there. Just so you know. It's a big deal.
 
Andy: Makes perfect sense. Very sweet. The Super Hero blog that Hof reran recently was my favorite too!

I hope you, Renee and Dane came make it to VEGAS!! Would love to meet you guys.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?