You are now marked on my profile visitor map!
You are now marked on my profile visitor map!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

 

$5

I wanted to tell you all about last Friday, but I’ve been so busy reading everyone else’s stuff, I never get to mine. Plus, Renee had a girls night on Saturday-Sunday and the boys (Daddy and Dane) had to hang out, playing games such as, Clap, Touchdown, Chase Me Daddy Before I Get To The Stairs (which isn’t as much fun with a gate) and the ever popular Catch Me Before I Fall Off The Couch Again (just kiddin’ Hon).

Friday nights I play softball with some friends. Every week is a double-header. Two hours of masculine competition in a game of “slow pitch.” And when I say competitive, it really is. A guy from another team was trying to pick a fight with our first baseman because of a call the Ump made (a little guy too… I think his name was Napoleon).

Most of the guys I play with are acquaintances. People I have met by playing softball. The two guys that introduced me and brought me to the team are (to protect the innocent and guilty), Big Guy (BG) and Really Big Guy (RBG). I’ve been out with these guys for the infamous “Guys Night Out.” We have had a lot of fun together. Both of these guys are huge. I feel like a skinny 10 year old kid around these guys, because they not only tower over me, but they’re also built like linebackers.

This past Friday night our game was rained out so we went to a local establishment for a couple refreshments. RBG couldn’t go with us, but BG came along with his 7 year old son (BGK), who came to watch the game. The first round was ordered and LC (Left Center [Field]) put it on his tab. SS (Shortstop) gave BGK a couple of one dollar bills to play video games, while, Yours Truly, ordered a second round on my tab. As the waitress walked away a guy walked by our table and said, “Somebody dropped some money.” LC started to take it and I waved it over to me and said, “Its [BGK]’s money for the video games, he must have dropped it.” LC hands it to me and when I open the folded money, its two $50 bills. Everyone’s eyes light up and I say, “We’re drinking for free tonight boys.” I give one of the bills to LC and pocket the other. We order food and drinks and put it on the two tabs.

After eating, LC has to take off. He pays his tab and has $17 left over. He starts to leave me $10 and I tell him to take it with him. We have enough money to pay the tab. He says, “No, you guys stay until 2am and besides, I took $7 of it.”

We drink a few more and 1B (First Base) gets a phone call from his wife. She asks him to pick something up for her to eat. He orders food and starts to pay for it. I tell him just to put it on the tab, we have plenty of money. We continue to hang out and drink while he waits for his order.

After 1B gets his order, things are dying down and everyone is getting up to leave. I ask for the tab, which comes out to $47. Giving our waitress a $13 tip for the crappy service she provided is out of the question. I take a $5 bill out of my wallet and put the $10 in. I give the waitress the $55 and we all start to leave. BG looks down to notice that he didn’t pay for his $5 chicken strips. He says to SS and me, “Hey, is there any money left, I still have to pay for this.”

I look at him and say, “I have a $10 bill.” SS pulls a $5 bill out of his wallet and gives it to BG.

He looks at me and say, “How much is left over?”

I said, “Including what [LC] took $12.”

BG says, “Everyone got their food and drinks paid for out of that money, why do you get to take it home?”

I tell him, “You got all your drinks for free tonight, you ate off of [LC]’s pizza and you are going to bitch about paying $5 for your food?”

BG looks at me and say, “It’s not fair that everyone else got there stuff paid for, why does [SS] have to put up $5!”

I pulled out my wallet, grabbed the $5 bill SS had on the table threw the $10 out there (which I regret… I should have just thrown out the $10 bill, not taking $5) and said, “I can’t believe you are going to be such a little bitch about $5.” I head for the door.

Behind me I hear BG say, “What, you want to take this outside?” I look back over my shoulder to see him standing, ready to throw down. I just shake my head, turn and walk out. I just can’t believe that a “friend” would want to fight over $5.

(Just so you know, I’m the type of guy that buys a round and doesn’t worry about everyone buying. I could care less about everything being even and most of the time there are a couple of guys who bail before it gets around to them. We all give them shit, but we don’t care. I’m not trying to plead my case, it’s just that I am usually the last person to keep track of who bought what and when.)

So, what do you think? Was I guilty for “holding the money?” Was I a bad friend for not paying for his food with that $5?

Comments:
you were not in the wrong. he was. i would have been pissed that a 'friend' would make such a big deal over $5. that's pitiful.

in my opinion, when you are out with friends, it shouldn't be a matter of everything being 'even'. usually it is women who are bad about doing that sort of thing when having to divide out a check. it's funny that you 'men' were (sorry to say this) acting like women do.
 
Well, it was no-one's money. And people like to fight over "free" stuff. It's weird. I wouldn't worry about it. Despite bad service, if it were found money, I'd leave whatever was left for the waitress or hand it to a bum on the street, because of guys acting like RBG. That way they can't grouse at you.
 
Sandra-I couldn't agree with you more. Renee went out with his BG wife the following night. She said BG was all all worked up about it. She told Renee that after he told her all about it, she chewed his ass for being so stupid. that made me feel a little better... I'm mean if anyone is going to stick up for you ("even when I know your wrong"), it should be your wife, right?

Foilwoman-You're right, I should have just given it all to the waitress, but I would never have thought that it would have led to an argument. To me it was sucha non-issue... I didn't even think about the consequences, it could possibly have.
 
EXACTLY!!! I've been reconsidering the whole friendship thing with him! I may still play softball with him, but as far as hanging out afterwards... I don't think it's gonna happen.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?